Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday- A Thought about Idols



On a night a few weeks ago, I was in bed trying to sleep, stuffed full of food and just sick: sick of trying, sick of failing, sick of life. And I cried out to God and asked him to save me from this food addiction. He told me to leave all my facebook groups. At the time it seemed strange and unrelated, but I was willing to do anything so that night I got up, said my goodbyes, left the groups and unfriended all the people that I didn't know in real life. 

As the weeks have gone by I can see how much of an idol it had become in my life. When I had a problem, I went there for advice, when I had a triumph, I went there to exclaim it, when I was sad, I went to facebook, when I was lonely, I went to facebook, when I was happy I went to facebook.... you get the picture. At the time, I didn't think it was bad, and maybe to some it isnt. But I realize now that everything I was turning to facebook and my friends there for, I should have been turning to GOD for. I was unhappy and lonely and living in chaos because FACEBOOK CANNOT FILL ME UP LIKE GOD CAN.

Now, to me its obvious, what does that sound like? Replace the word facebook with food in the above paragraph. THUNDER AND LIGHTENING! BAM!

God has shown me in the last few weeks that I don't need facebook to get through life. That all I need is Him. And now that I'm leaning more on Him, its getting easier to want HIM instead of other idols in my life. Leaving facebook has started a chain of events that is revealing every idol in my life, and with God's help, I will remove each one! I do not want to live worshipping worldly things! I want to worship the LORD, the creator! The one with immeasurable love and grace!

The devil is sneaky, and can get me believing so many lies to stay in a bad place. But the power of Christ is in me and HE is for ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment